Paleo Eggs In A Hole, or eggs in a basket, or toad in hole, or also known as eggs in a frame. This classic egg dish goes by many names. Actually, the true” Toad in a Hole” dish is sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding originating from the UK, and my family (Americans) have always called this egg dish “Toad in a Hole” . So they have been calling it the wrong name for a long time. Basically, it is a fried egg inside a “cut out” in your toast. I made a version that is paleo, grain free, starch free, nut free and low carb by using my grain free quick bread in place of regular toast. This recipe is actually 0 net carbs because of the fiber content is higher than the carb count. So, this recipe is great for Keto or Atkin’s induction.
Baked the sandwich bread
Cut or press a hole in the center of bread
Crack egg into bread hole in fry pan
Once egg is cooked enough, flip over to cook other side
Serve and enjoy
- Quick Sandwich Bread:
- 2 ½ Tbsp golden flax meal, where to buy flax meal
- 1 egg, beaten.
- 1 tbsp coconut or almond milk.
- ¼ tsp baking soda + ½ tsp apple cider vinegar, mixed in a separate pinch bowl.
- ½ tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- Toad in a hole:
- 2 eggs for frying
- 2 tsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil a loaf pan.
- Combine all quick bread ingredients in the loaf pan and stir until completely combined.
- Bake the bread in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until browned.
- Remove bread from oven and cool completely.
- Slice bread across the middle and slide a spatula under the bread and lift out of loaf pan * as seen in photo above.
- With a knife or biscuit cutter cut a hole in the center of each piece of quick bread.
- Oil or grease a fry pan and place on stove top on medium heat. Place bread in fry pan and crack an egg into each bread hole, * as seen in photo above. Cook eggs for a few minutes and then flip over to cook other side of eggs and bread.
- Remove from pan with spatula once eggs are cooked the way you prefer.
- Serve and enjoy.