Low Carb Cajun Cauliflower Mini Dogs are a wonderful, primal, kid friendly, game day snack, lunch or appetizer. The kids loved them and they are not very spicy, just subtle Cajun spices. You could definitely kick up the spices or tone them down, all depending on your spicy meter. I dipped mine in red pepper sauce and some in mustard. The hubby just dipped it in a tiny bit of mustard. My picky child ate them without any sauce. I used Cajun sausages in mine and apple chicken sausages in his and my husbands (their not spicy). My daughter and son in law put jalapenos and hot sauce on theirs. So these can be modified to suite your taste. They definitely tasted like Cajun corn dogs even though no corn is involved. If your low carbing, these are a great game day snack. Make these and a pot of low carb chili and you have a healthy meal that tastes like a cheat food
After making dough, flatten a spoonful on a parchment covered, baking sheet.
Place mini sausages on dough, and cover with a spoonful of dough. Then mold with hands and fingers around sausage.
Remove from oven, cool and serve with favorite sauce for dipping.
- 12 mini sausages, I used Cajun spiced ones, but you could use plain or other kinds (make sure they are gluten free, nitrate free and low in carbs, 2 carbs or less per serving),
- 1 cup cauliflower, riced or ground in food processor.
- ¼ cup coconut flour, where to buy coconut flour
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- ¼ cup grated cheese of choice, (I used cheddar) * Optional, can omit for dairy free.
- 1 ½ tbsp butter, melted or coconut oil, melted.
- ½ tsp baking soda + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar mixed in a separate pinch bowl (will be very fizzy).
- 1 tbsp red pepper sauce, I used Frank’s Red pepper Sauce (you can use more or less red pepper sauce depending on your spicy meter, one tbsp. made a mild to medium spice level.) * optional.
- ½ tsp ground mustard powder.
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika, or paprika.
- ¼ tsp sea salt.
- ⅛ tsp chili powder.
- 1 to 2 tsp minced jalapeños or mild chilies *optional, only for spicy lovers.
- Dipping Options:
- Organic mustard, (check ingredients for gluten) * optional.
- Favorite hot sauce, I used Frank’s Red Pepper Sauce (make sure gluten free and low carb).
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or oil a baking sheet.
- Put cauliflower florets into the food processor and process until rice texture forms, or can rice or grate it.
- In large mixing bowl combine: cauliflower rice, coconut flour, eggs, optional cheese, butter or coconut oil, melted, red pepper sauce, ground mustard, paprika, sea salt, chili powder, optional minced jalapenos or chilies, and baking soda-vinegar mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Place a small spoonful of cauliflower batter on the baking sheet, then smash flat with spoon. Repeat 12 times* as shown in photo above. Could skip this part for a faster prep, but there will be a small open spot at bottom of dog. I did a few each way and it worked out great.
- Take mini sausages and press one dog into each battered section on the baking sheet *as shown in photo above.*
- Place another spoonful of batter on top of each dog. Use fingers and hands to squish batter around and cover sausages,* as shown in photo above.*
- Then I used the back of spoon to smooth a little, but they don’t have to be pretty. Once sausages are covered and shaped, they can go into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 23 minutes, or until top are somewhat firm, and browning.
- Remove, cool, and serve with favorite dipping sauce, mustard, or hot sauce.